Friday, April 8, 2011

Progress! I think he's going to come early. :)

I had a doctors appointment this morning.  Just as a side note 9:45 am is sooo early for an appointment when you're on spring break.  I should have known better, but when I made it I was still waking up at 5:30am for work.

I wasn't excited for this appointment this morning because I was anticipating seeing the Japanese midwife who last time told me I was "fat", and I just felt like I didn't connect with her.  I also knew she'd have something to say about my weight and I never look forward to that part of these visits.  Next week I plan to jump off the scale before it fully registers my true weight...it's off anyway compared to my scale at home since I'm fully clothed at the doctors office. :)

Anyway, so I was happy when a different midwife walked in and I asked her a couple of questions then she got to checking me out and taking the baby's heart beat.  His little heart is beating at 153 bpm and his bum is right up in my ribs (hence the lovely rib pain I have all over now).  He's in the anterior position too, which is good.  I don't think he'll move either since the little squirt doesn't have any place to go in my not-so-big-torso. :)  She also thinks he could weigh 7-7.5 lbs!!!  That's so big!  I wonder how good she is at guessing these things?  I'm hoping she's off, but regardless he needs to come out and I feel very confident that my body will cooperate...it knows what it needs to do and I wasn't given these hips for nothing! :)

She also checked me out and to my delight, and excitement, I'm effaced 60% and dilated to 1.5cm!  My due date is still 4 weeks away!  I'm thinking that he will come early, but like the midwife said he could come a day early or a week early...we just don't know.  Lately I have been feeling different pains in my lower pelvic area and it makes sense since she said my cervix is really squishy compared to most women.  He's going to slip right out in my mind!  I'm practicing visualizing how my body and baby are going to work together to get him out quickly and efficiently.  I'm feeling really excited and confident about the whole birthing process...everything is going to go as well as it possibly could when things get rolling.

In other news, Shem has been working in the yard and making a huge muddy mess. I've decided that my floor is going to be muddy for a while and have been a trooper since I haven't complained about it either.  I only got a little upset when he put his muddy ax and oil bottle on my J.CREW bag and my leather purse.  They weren't even on the floor and he still thought that was the best place for them...oh well...at least he is still mindful of my patience.  Sometimes I wonder about what kinds of gooey treasures I'm going to find when Asher gets older considering the likelihood of him being a bit ADD. :)

Moving on.  Here are some pictures of my yard in its current state.  Enjoy.

 Oh, this is one of me about 4 weeks ago.  I was playing with the new lens.
 View from the patio looking south.  This is where the shed is going to go.  The doors will open up facing the house.
 The higher and drier ground.
The pond.  We hope to make it go away forever.  We detest the pond.

5 comments:

Mags said...

Wow, looks like an elevated shed might help? Good luck with that!

Oh I do hope he comes early for you Ruth. My only late baby was my first, by ten horribly long days. I don't wish it on anyone. Yay for potentially early babies! :)

Unknown said...

insta
I believe he will be earily based on the information you provided with the dilation, cervix and baby size. All of my baby size estimates were close, only John and Joseph they were off by about a pound. I have been told they can be usually a pound off either way of right on! This is the most uncomfortable time I know very well but sure sounds like body is getting ready with my last one was in the same situation as you are right now, and a few days later the contractions would not stop at 2 minutes apart, and baby was born. Good Luck but I would be surprised if you make your due date. Little guy wants to meet his Mommy and Daddy already!

Nikki said...

that would be awesome if he came early!! marlie was exactly a week early. so dont let other people tell you that your first baby never comes early. they were always telling me that and i was thinking that i was gonna be stuck with this baby inside me weeks past my due date. it was really nice that she came early tho. i did a lot of walking to try and progress the labor process :)

Beadles said...

What? Tell that midwife it is better to gain weight than to be under weight during pregnancy. Having had three children and having been at the end of the spectrum (both ways) I can testify that being over the "expected" weight gain is so much better than being under the expected weight gain! Here's to having a healthy baby!

Dana Fallentine said...

Good luck! It looks like a great puddle to splash in!