Saturday, March 26, 2011

Quitter

Shem is a quitter....and I love that he is!  We were both having a stressful week, my first in a long time, and Shem...well, he pretty much always has a stressful and busy week, but everything changed on Thursday when Shem came to talk to me.  I was just waking up from a nap (I've been utterly exhausted this week!) and he jumped into bed beside me and asked me what I thought about him quitting National Boards.  About 15 seconds into the conversation he said that he thought we'd only loose $600 of the $2,500 we had already paid and at that moment I instantly felt happy.  He felt happy too even before we made our final decision.  A couple hundred of bucks down the drain in exchange for having a husband again is so worth it to me!

National Board Certification is not cake walk.  It's so time consuming and complicated and it really takes a lot of patience to think about your teaching and then re-think what you're doing and then change what you're doing so that you can submit a video segment and a paper that represent how you were able to "have a learning discussion" in class.  It's intense and it has been recommended that anyone doing this certification shouldn't be involved in anything else.  This was not the case with Shem.  At the beginning of the year he was: working with scouts at church which took up Tuesday evenings, the secretary and treasurer of our HOA board, going to some physics class on Thursday nights at the U of W, managing 2 or 3 clubs at school, teaching 4 IB/AP physics classes and 1 regular class, and we found out we were having a baby so, since I was sick a lot, he helped around the house too.  He quit a few things, but it just wasn't enough, so he quit National Boards. :)

Now I have a happy Shem and he's more excited than ever to have a baby because he can actually focus on having a baby.  He's planning on building our shed over spring break and then we can work on the baby's room and get things more organized around our house.  I can't tell you how awesome it is to not have to do everything around the house anymore and put up with a stressed out and crabby Shemmy...he's my dream dude now since I've just convinced him that Chipotle is the best option for dinner tonight. :)  Last weekend he snapped at me when I wanted to go out and eat, but only because the stress monster had taken over his normally sweet and kind demeanour.  He works so hard for our family and I love him so much for that.

Hooray for husbands that work hard, but hip hip hooray for husbands who know when to quit!  I'm ready to be spoiled now with all of those good pregnancy things husbands do for their wives...a massage sounds excellent right about now. :)

1 comment:

Kellie said...

It sounds like you made the right decision. Good for you!